Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Stoked for Camp- EVERYTHING Will Kill Our Campers

So it is. Summer camp in December. Chanukah hasn't even crossed my mind because it's just to warm for it! This Monday starts Summer camp. Now; being that they stressed all the hard work involved, and being we are not getting paid, I can't say I was too certain I wanted to sign up. However the choices were; sign up or go home. Call it usury, exploitation, whatever, all Americans must work.
But aside for not getting paid I must say I am looking forward to it now. This will be my first time seriously working with children and of course anything I am charged with I master immediately. My friend Adam Finck and I were chosen t o be councilors for the youngest age group, year two, whom are all in camp for the first time. We were selected because we were deemed "savvy, aware, sensitive, caring" zzzzz... nah but really, we're gonna give these kids an awesome time.
In the meantime we've been having weekly mini-seminars about working w/ kids. From safety issues to discipline to bed wetting (Which of course mainly pertains to our age group :( ) Apparently, everything will harm our kids; Poisonous snakes, poisonous spiders, animals in general, deep water, shallow water, any water, lack of water, hikes, walks, runaways, not going anywhere but sitting around the sun- the sun will kill them, people coming into camp, people outside of camp, bush fires will destroy everything, giant birds, nuclear attacks, rogue robots flying jellyfish! Alright things aren't that bad.
We are ready none-the-less and we are more than qualified for the responsibility. The year 2 kids only stay for a week so our work is half of the rest of the camp, woohoo. Not to mention there is a chance I could host a cooking seminar for the kids thanks to my exquisite skills in the kitchen (thank you mom!)

1 comment:

  1. :) sounds like fun. give those kids a good time, and happy chanukah!

    ReplyDelete