Thursday, June 10, 2010

How it Feels to Win

There was a mivtza for Gimmel Tammuz

You could win a tip to NY to be with the Rebbe

I’ve never been with the Rebbe for Gimmel Tammuz

I participated

First time ever did

No one ever wins a raffle

But this one was harder

Less would be in it

I had a bigger chance

I really wanted to go

I deserved to go

I told G-d I did

He knew it to


Three weeks

We all got papers (duchs) w/ boxes for every day

Chitas,

Rambam,

Tzedaka before davening,

mikveh,

brochos w/ hat & jacket,

krias shma w/ hat & jacket

you had to check at least 40 boxes a week

plus watch a vid of the Rebbe for 15 min a week

and learn sichos for every week and take a written test

and relay a whole maamor orally


I checked my boxes

Passed my tests

Learned my maamor

(I actually memorized the first page word-for-word)

Spoke to G-d about it

How I wanted to go


The night came

We had a fabrengen

I left to learn

Came back for the raffle

We danced

We sang

Two pushkas

One w/ names

One filled w/ papers saying lo zocha

And one paper saying zocha


Name after name

I knew it the whole time

I worked on it

I’ve improved myself since coming here

I’m becoming what G-d wants

I knew he’d do this for me


I whispered a quick request for Hashem

Let me win

As I got a couple dollars for tzedoka

And asked G-d one more time

Was the moment they said it


Finally a name was matched w/ those coveted words

Zocha

Danced

Sang

And finally

The paper on which my name was written

Was announced

Oh thank G-d







I lost



………

I lost to someone who deserved it more than I

I bludged a little on those boxes

I cut out a bit on the Rebbe vid

But more than that:

I wanted to go for the wrong reasons

And you can’t fool G-d


I looked up at G-d and shrugged my shoulders

Yea

I get it

He’s a better bochur than I

I’m yet to deserve it myself

I’m not jealous


I left it’s late I have a test tomorrow

I davened krias shma w/ a heavy heart

But not a regretful heart

I woulda done it all again

Because you can never say I lost

I learned a lot of sichos

That spoke of the profoundness of a rebbe

And what it means to connect w/ him

I know a maamor forwards and backwards

How G-d gives us the strength for misirus Nefesh

And these past three weeks will last a lifetime

And this knowledge will go from me to hundreds more

You can never say I lost


Sure I lost the raffle

Sure I didn’t deserve to go

But that don’t put me down

I aint like that

It brings me up

Losing only means I look for what’s next

Work even harder

Fill up that empty feeling

Bounce back and be all I can be

Because next time

I will deserve it

That’s not losing

5 comments:

  1. Like your new look (too much pink?, or is that the result of your poll results?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the pink FYI. it goes well w/ the blue.

    It is not pink because the results are what they are, rather the poll results are what they are because there is pink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very inspiring! I hope you go from strength to strength.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice well written

    ReplyDelete