Thursday, August 6, 2009

Changing of the Guard




B”H

It was a one day trip. Got in by morning. Left by night fall. I’m rather disappointed by it’s brevity but it was a good farewell to a chapter of my life. My brother and I had gone for his first aliya in the Rebbe’s office, quite unique! I also took him to the Rebbe’s ohel which of course was a sobering experience. One stop on the day’s to do list was to take Simcha to have his interview with R. Bryski. Naturally, even after I graduated and left, as soon as I walked in I was in trouble. Apparently I had taken books out of the public library and never returned them. They sent two letters to the school about it. So as soon as I walked in I got a short lecture- just like the good old days.

I left my brother in R Bryski’s lair and explored the now empty school full of thought. I lived in this place for four years. Since eighth grade I’ve spent far more time here than I’ve had at home. I’m here for the last time to close a significant portion of my life. Now I walk away from it toward wherever. The feeling is extremely intriguing. I am so lucky to live a life that %99 of everyone my age hardly reflects. By being away from home, having to figure out ways to pay for my daily expenses, dealing with problems that arise, without the help of mother and father that other teens have, has really given me an edge and a maturity that can’t be achieved by staying home. I’ve heard toomany times from other people how awful it is that I was sent away so early. But that is simply ignorance. I chose to go away to school. I wanted it. And what these critics don’t understand is the huge benefit one gets by immersing themselves in such an environment so far from home.

I’m always going to have memories of my time Chanoch Lenaar. My constant battles with R Bryski, the fun I had with the guys, the shlichus me and my friend Odom preformed in Brattleboro VT, the trouble we’d get into, and all the people I met. It’s not over but it feels like it is. I’ve met a good many wonderful people here in CH and now my time is up. I’ll go to Australia and meet more wonderful folks there. I’ll keep in touch with those I’ve met in CH but for the most part it’s done. It’s a little saddening but it’s also inspiring. I’m moving on to the next chapter, and after that I’ll move on to the next one, until I accomplish what I want to accomplish and finally settle down with a family. But in the meantime, being able to let go is just part of the journey.

My brother did well in his interview. The staff all like him (after all he is a Staples) and R Bryski says he’ll for sure get in. So it’s the little Stapes’ turn. He’ll have his own little adventures, funny stories to tell, and fantastic families to meet. I’ve already got him lined up with good families for Shobbos and other guys to show him around. And in the meantime I move on. One Stapes in, another Stapes out.

2 comments: