Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Surprise! He's Gone

B”H

It was all by complete surprise. We thought he wouldn’t be able to go until my mother could secure a job which meant he wouldn’t leave till after Succos. R. Bryski in the morning called and clarified that he meant we wouldn’t make a payment plan until a job was secured, but little Simcha really should be in school—tomorrow.

So my mother quickly threw all my little brother’s laundry downstairs, put together a list of what was needed, took my brother out to get some clothes and whatnot, and I stayed behind to keep the laundry going. We quickly bought a ticket for that night and got him packed up. We pretty much had no time to think about it before we were driving him to the airport. My father took him past security to see him off and that was that.

The next morning I realized how strange it was. Until now I was the one going away. I had never experienced having the house to myself. I woke up at four like every morning, but found myself being a little less careful w/ the noise I make. Later it dawned upon me how quiet it was. No Xbox playing, no cartoons on, no computer game noises… it was, nice! Now I can expand my workspace. Now there’s no arguing about getting things done around the house. Now there are no breadcrumbs on the table. I felt like I have more of the house to myself. I can shift my working space into his brighter room and perhaps even get some Xbox games I’ve wanted to try out but Simcha couldn’t play. Yay.

Of course I then realized that now I’m walking to shul by myself now. During Shobbos meals it’ll just be me, and my parents. and sometimes when I just feel like goofing around and now…well I’m all by myself. I wonder how he’s doing up there. If he’s met any of my old pals, which room he got, whose class he’s in, if he’s getting around all right. I’m really curious. For the first (limited) time, I’m the one staying behind. He’s so little and now he’s all the way in NY. I also wonder how it’ll be for my parents when I go off to Australia and then the house will really be empty. I imagine it would be pretty nice for them. As for me, my mother hasn’t gotten a job yet so we hang out together, but when she gets a job, I will be all alone. Although I am extremely good at staying busy, I imagine it will start to get at me. I can only run around doing things for so long, and then, just maybe, I might start to miss my little brother. Good thing I’m going off to Australia.

6 comments:

  1. awww, you got the older brother blues!! So sweet!

    I'm sure the little guys doing fine, and wouldn't be happy to hear you calling him LITTLE!

    The joys of going away... and now I'm the one STAYING home. Weird how the world evolves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be eben weirder when he comes back more mature and all grown up, I've been there :).
    And now you can turn his room into a game room (YES)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it will be so weird when he returns a completely different person. I know I did. What really gets at me is how curious I am about what he's doing. I wish he'd call!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't. The dorm only has a payphone that only calls out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh boy that sucks! No cell phone?

    Too bad, I'm right in the neighborhood, but it would be a no no if I wanted to pass a message from you to him. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete