Thursday, March 4, 2010

Man Plans and Sometimes G-d Just Chuckles and Says, "I'll Do Ya One Better."

As you know we had decided we want to go to Asia for shlichus on Pesach. Change of plans. Not that we couldn’t make it, in fact we most likely would have gone to Cambodia. It’s just that an opportunity came up and we grabbed it.

We got jobs! We had gotten word that there was someone running a Pesach resort who needed two more guys to work. I got the number and the name (R. Klufkon) and called as soon as I could. He answered and I gave my sales pitch. I soon found out the job was perfect for us. What he needed were two guys to help the mashgiach part of the time and to take care of the kids part of the time. I have experience as a Pesach mashgiach and we both have worked w/ children. He wanted me to email him details about us, our age, and to meet us in person. Luckily we already wrote two cover letters detailing our work experience (which I realized is pretty extensive) and whatnot. So I sent them in.

The next day I called him and set up a time to meet in his home that evening. When we arrived it seemed as if he had already decided to hire us. Instead of him interviewing us, it was more like us interviewing him. We hardly spoke but ask questions. He told us all about the program, where it is, how long he’s been doing it (22 years), and what we would be doing. Our job would be three parts; helping the mashgiach and chef w/ nick-nacks around the kitchen, being the friendly face of the program (ie. Going around during meals seeing that everyone is accommodated), and taking the older boys for a couple hours a day to do whatever while two young women took the younger boys and girls to do whatever. He took us to his office and showed us a map of the grounds, pictures, the rooms, the trips, and all that good stuff. He took us back to the living-room and said we shouldn’t make a decision just yet; rather we should think about it and give him an answer. He said in the meantime he’d put everyone else on hold until we did! If we said yes, we were hired, if not, then he’s get one of the other guys (I found out there really were others applying for the job).

Heck we were sold.

So now we have our Pesach set up for us. Thank G-d. We could’ve gone to Asia if we wanted to, but something better came our way.

3 comments:

  1. :) yaaaaay! I'm so happy for u! i'm gonna want pictures and details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes maam. it's all sure to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.pesachaustralia.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete