Saturday, March 27, 2010

Spontanious Dinner Parties and Random New Friends

Things are so random here.

I thought I was just going to order a sandwich to go.



The yeshiva advertised food would no longer be served.

I didn’t know that meant take everything away; the cereal, the milk, the coffee,

Everything I was gonna live off of.

The fruit…

They even took away the freakin’ fruit.



So needless to say Adam and I were starved motzei Shobbos. Luckily, I have a habit of hoarding oranges, which I ate for all my meals on Friday (1). Shobbos was covered because we ate at families we know, but along comes motzei Shobbos and I’m hungry.

We figured this was a yeshiva expense (is it not?), so we took some Yeshivabound money and went out to eat at the deli (which isn’t really a deli).

When we got to the corner we bumped into an Israeli gal looking for a place to get pizza. I phoned my friend. Heck it turned out to be really close. Gee why wouldn’t we go there?

So we took the girl to Glick’s.

Now here I am, waltzing into a shop with a random gal on a motzei Shobbos. But I was hungry.

Then it occurred to me that all three of us should split a pie. Made a lot of sense. We ordered, sat down, and just talked. Then the adjacent table, a woman and two men in their 40s and 50s, turned around and started chatting with us. Soon you would have thought we all came there together.

All the while NO pizza. Adam went up to enquire. “what size did you order?” &#*@!

So we continued our dinner party. Then a Rabbi looking guy asked if we were in YG and started talking to us too. turned out his brother was my principal my first year in NY.

It was all so random. ( STILL NO PIZZA)


20 minutes later we got our pie.

We all took a slice and gave the rest to her since she pretty much had no food either. All the while the entire half of the restaurant turned into a big conversation, like the kind you have at your home with people talking across other people talking to other people. It was like we all knew each other! She had been backpacking around Australia and is probably going to be here for a few more weeks to tour, except she doesn’t know where anything is. I on the other hand practically have the city memorized. So we swapped numbers with the promise that we’d show her all the sights after Pesach. That should be a ton of fun (the zoo!).

Now we got a new friend to go around town.

We got soft serve ice-cream (really good) and worked out the payment for pizza.

I thought I was going to leave.


Meanwhile;

Sort of an old man walks in to where we are.

Lady: Oh look it’s Bernie!

Everyone (including me): heeeeey!


So I sat down.

1 comment:

  1. :) that is so cute. never would have happened in new york.

    ReplyDelete