Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Pesach Chronicals: Day 6; Showtime. What? Oh &#%

Day 6



I have been subtly suggested 3 shidduchs

This job has a lot of perks.



On the Sabbath you shall not cook. We had nothing to do. Just help with the kids and rehearse a bit for the show. Shobbos came and went. The show was ten minutes away.



The event was called “Variety Night”

I assumed that meant a few performers.

I kept my part of the show short.

I was then informed.

It’s for the most part just you.

Huh

I need some wine.



What the heck are we supposed to do? I didn’t know it was just us and one other person on a piano! Well for Adam it was easy to add his own part. He’s excellent at piano. He would do two solos; Rachmaninoff’s prelude in C# minor and a piece he wrote himself. As for myself, I went to the back and started to make frantic notes. In five minutes I had an incomprehensible paper full of words like “old people” “black father” dumb questions” and so on with arrows connecting random things together. The rest of the show went smooth. The song we did was great. So was the skit. Adam played beautifully. So it was my turn to extend the show. I ran up with my notes and did something I have never done nor wanted to do.



I did stand-up comedy



I just started talking about working there. I spoke about the quirky incidences I had with the old people. In fact, if the show had a title it would have been “Old People”. That’s all I did, just started talking. I neglected to pay any attention to what the crowd was doing. I just went. I spoke about



the shidduchs some of them suggested,

my age,

my mother,

my job,

and back to the old people.



Then it was about



my life,

my father,

his job,

questions people ask me,

tasers,

Shobbos tables,

me being a geir,

Shobbos,

lying about my age



and kept going. I was told it was getting late so I ended off with a funny story that happened to me last year. I stepped of the stage having no idea how well I did, but I looked around and there were a whole bunch of people shaking my hand, smiling, and congratulating me.

What I realize here is, you have to just jump into something when the opportunity presents itself. At least then you know for sure if you’re good or not. And if you are, then you have a whole lot ahead of you. I didn’t really think I’d be so good at making shows, writing songs, and performing, until I just did it because I was asked. There’s no telling what people might figure out about themselves.



The old people had left during my show.

Oh no

Maybe they were just tired.

Well have to see the next morning

that golf cart...



Pesach Chronicals: Day 7-9; The Aftermath

2 comments: