Saturday, May 29, 2010

Brevels [Readers Correction: Brevilles]

Made brevels (bevels?) at a particular family’s house

It was so nice. Not something I really do at home

“You gonna make a post about making brevels here,

Make it all poetic and stuff?”

The youngest asked

(I made a post about them before)

“pf. No”

Heck why not


Me ‘n; the kids in the kitchen

Well

Two aren’t kids in the proper sense

But as in; they’re the children of the parents


Anyway


Brevels

Or is it bevels?

I don’t have this at home!


There was a wonderful spontaneity to it

Just me and the youngest chatting

“Hey let’s make brevels”

Haha

Cute kid


Why stop there?

He informs his two siblings of our undertaking

On the intercom

Intercom!

Sweet!

My house doesn’t do that

We just yell upstairs


They both come down to join our venture

He offers hot chocolate

Hot chocolate!

Yes!


I cut up tomatoes

Tomahtoes

And onions


Is this cheese off?

It smells alright

Or does it?

How’s it supposed to smell?

Mmmm

Tastes like…cheese

Use it

(As of this writing I’m not hurling)


The youngest puts ‘em together

Ketchup (tomahtoe sauce)

Tomato (tomahto)

Cheese

In the brevel


All of us seem to have our own little duty

Cutting

Constructing

Hot chocolate

Cheese-preparing or slicing or something

Just talkin’ and makin’ brevels

There’s a real charm to that

At least here


Finally done

Pipin’ hot

Add some onions for texture

mmmmmm


“Which brevels are better?” she asks

Ooo trick question

I get it

This time little-one made them

Last time she made them

Good thing I remember that

Obviously the ones from last time are better

(Really they were)

(They were fuller and more flavorful)


Hot chocolate!

With foam!

How do you get the foam?

Do you buy it in a packet or something?


Oh the taste and smell of the brevel

Ah,

Reminds me of good times

Cool early Arizona morning

Sun still yawning in slumber

Sitting in the succa over some chassidus

Cool desert breeze coming through the windows

Early birds all around

Reading while sipping a mug of coffee

Nobody else is up

Just the sound of birds and palm trees

And I have my half a bagel toasted w/ cheese and veggies


The hot chocolate

Sends me back to earlier days

Winter

Sitting with my family

Watching the Chanukah candles burn

My grandparents came

Mom made her amazing latkes

And hot chocolate


Aye

Those were the days

Those are the memories

They had those tastes and smells

Now these tastes and smells

Along with the other tastes and smells of bygone years

Are finding new memories to match

Right here in Melbourne

Right in this lovely house

House?

I meant home

9 comments:

  1. Ahh, yes...except for a few details you missed: The blackened toaster oven from all the drippy cheese left in it since you and Simcha were the cheese monsters who used it over and over and never cleaned after yourselves, and one time set the thing on fire. Oh, and, I don't recall ever making hot chocolate, but the coffee I remember...right...was always instant, unless you made real coffee in the coffee maker..which, by the way, it occurred to me to check before I put away for Passover, and I got a nice warm fuzzy feeling when I found the remnants of the last pot you made since you never threw out the filter and coffee grounds...yes the fuzzy was all the mold that had grown over the grounds...mmmm. Nice memories for sure....HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds tasty I still have no idea what brevels or a brevler machine is. maybe take some pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I want to know what brevels are too. The internet was not very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwich_toaster

    ReplyDelete
  5. BREVILLES! THAT'S how you spell it... oooohhhh

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember when it caught on fire yes. Why is it our family is SO calm when things like that happen? You calmly called me from upstairs that it was on fire. I walked down to see. "hmm, yep it is." I walked over to get a cup of water, and you went over to the computer. We're gonna die like that one day.
    ahh the coffee. So I happened to forget before i went to AU OKAY.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Dude Who Writes StuffJune 2, 2010 at 2:12 AM

    Just for the record, Dovid, "Breville" is a company that invented the Breville machien in the early 1930's, and coined the word Breville, but somehow only Australains know that. more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breville

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dovid...I was calm...you went into a panic and thought it was wise to start throwing water into an ELECTRIC oven that was on fire. I finally saved us all by simply removing the flaming drip pan and putting it in the sink.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I Love this post

    GO BEVILLES! YECHI HAMELECH!

    ReplyDelete