Monday, May 10, 2010

An Excuse to Crazy to Make Up

I missed shiur

And do you know why?

Oh I’ll tell ya why


I was at the library like I am everyday. I rode a bike to get there. I chained it up. I did my thing, got business done, spoke to a friend, and left early enough to make it back on time. However, I walk out and there’s someone else’s chain on my bike!

I look around. Um, heloooo? What the heck! It wasn’t like someone parked their bike there and accidentally chained theirs to mine. I mean it was just a chain and padlock on my bike! Who do you ask? And what? I went to the library reception to explain my woes. I was fretting a little, or more like enthusiastically amazed, and some guy heard me. Some guy, in a light-blue T-shirt and kaki shorts, must have been in his early thirties, brown hair w/ a short well-groomed beard, green eyes and a faint scar across the top of his left hand. I even remember he was wearing brown boots, like the working kind. He introduced himself as Rick Landin. His accent was a little weak, but clearly Australian.

I took him outside to see my bike. He laughed. So did I. “I have a bolt cutta at home.” He said w/ a grin. Perfect. We hopped in his car. It was a dark green car, I don’t know what it’s called, it’s the one that has the lion for a logo, you know? We don’t have those in America. It must have been fairly new since it was so clean and had that new car smell. To get to his house we turned right onto St Kilda Rd from Carlisle St. Then we made a right at Commercial and kept going past Chapel where it turns into Malvern and kept going. It was farther than I would have liked. We stopped by some apartments and I waited outside while he fished out his bolt-cutter which also took a while. Finally he got it and we headed back to the library.

Finally, he cut off the chain and I got back my bike. It was real nice of him. Who does that? Waist a perfectly good chain!


That’s why I missed shiur

It was an accepted explanation

There’s simply too many details

And it’s way too crazy to make up!

Which is why it made the perfect excuse…



Because none of this happened

5 comments:

  1. A Holden... Good Brainstorming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol is that your first short story?

    ReplyDelete
  3. no no, not my short story. The short story I do have is becoming a not-so-short story

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's something i really made up on the way back to yeshiva :)

    ReplyDelete